Program Advisor, Chinatown Literacy Project (CLP)
Application: Submit resume/cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 11, 2020
Reports to: Board of Directors
Term: Fall 2020 to Spring 2021 (one year minimum); Opportunities to extend available
Salary: Unpaid (Volunteer Position)
The CLP Program Advisor works with a motivated team of four high school age youth coordinators to provide guidance to weekly workshop development offered to 30 or more high school age volunteers, oversee teaching staff’s development and implementation of ESL classes, and communicates with the Board of Directors on the program’s overall progress.
- Supervise four high school staff. Work may include providing suggestions to weekly workshops, troubleshooting recruitment or staffing challenges, and supporting staff on vision setting
- Support teaching staff (Teachers, Teaching assistants) with lesson planning and implementing ESL classes on a remote platform.
- Share periodic updates with CYI Board of Directors, a group of working professionals, to secure budget approval, coordinate press conferences, receive financial reimbursements, and approve annual CLP board report
- Experience and/or desire to work with high school students
- Program planning, implementation, and evaluation skills
- Conflict mediation skills
- Experience and/or desire to work with adults (colleagues and clients)
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Responsive on phone/email
- Bilingual in English/Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin) preferred
Program Timeline (September 2020 to May 2021):
|August 2020||Program Advisor training|
|September 2020||1-2 staff training(s), program planning, outreach planning,, recruit high school volunteers and teaching staff|
|October 2020||Program begins|
|January 2020||Mid- program update to Board of Directors|
|November 2020 to February 2021||Periodic check-ins with staff|
|March 2021||Graduation planning|
|May 2021||Wrap up, board report|
Additional Information: Upon receipt of application, you will be contacted for a phone or in-person interview
Cover Letter Suggested Topics:
- Why you are interested in the Program Advisor position?
- How have you typically mentored others?